Thursday, August 14, 2008

SEO for beginners


I was telling a little story on my Icelandic blogsite on how SEO for beginners can work, even for those of us who are in fact newcomers in this field of occupation.


In Iceland, the word "leitarvélabestun" has been to describe SEO, with the meaning of "making the best use of search engines", i.e. Search Engine Optimization. One of the leading SEOs in Iceland came up with a new word, leitarvélagreining, meaning really Search Engine Analysis.


This word has not been adopted by many SEOs and this man's company has basically monopolized the first and second rank pages at Google and other major search engines. Recently a rival company staged a coup d'etat and the self-proclaimed king was overthrown, relegated to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc. place.


I decided to try to stage another coup and added this word to a relevant site I am working on. I did the usual SEO work in haste, but only the groundwork. I do not have time to mount a serious SEO campaign just to be visible at this scene.


However, the following day my site had somehow reached into the 4th place. I was thrilled. I was doing something right.


This morning I was in 1st and 2nd place.


Sometimes SEO can produce good results very fast, especially when the competition is not doing the job right.
P.S. Ok, very strange indeed. Down at 3rd and 4th place. I will return!

No comments: